The Summer Bridge Program
is an invitation-only scholarship program at The University of Texas at Austin that provides incoming freshmen with tools and resources to jumpstart their first year in college. The Summer Bridge program provides a fully funded academic experience on UT campus that prepares students to get a head start on life as a Longhorn — launching students into freshman year by becoming familiar with campus resources, professors, other students, and college life! Students take two prescribed courses during the second summer session leading into the fall of their first year as part of the scholarship. On top of that, students who earn a 3.0+ GPA during the Summer Bridge program will receive an additional $1,000 merit-based award at the end of the summer.
For the past two years, the Summer Bridge program has helped ensure our students successfully transition and adjust to the 40 acres. Out of the 244 students who participated in the 2014 Summer Bridge program, 88% of students earned a 3.0+ GPA and thus received the $1000 merit-based scholarship. The 2014 Summer Bridge cohort collectively earned a 3.46 Summer GPA and 99% of the students returned to UT in the Fall semester.
To be eligible for the Summer Bridge program, you must:
- Be admitted to UT
- Be a first-time incoming college freshman (no transfer students)
- Be eligible for in-state residency (no out-of-state students)
- Receive an invitation to apply
- Be available the entire duration of July 11, 2015-August 15, 2015
- Live in the university dorms paid for by the Summer Bridge program
By Participating in Summer Bridge, Students will:
- Receive the Summer Bridge Scholarship (approximately $5,000), which covers program fees, including tuition, housing, meals, placement tests, and a spending stipend.
- Take one math course and one composition course depending on the college or school, major, test scores and academic history, including any dual or AP exam credit.
- Receive an additional $1,000 scholarship at the end of the summer upon successful completion of courses with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Live on campus with other Summer Bridge students, building a vibrant learning community.
Get a Head Start on the UT Experience:
- Earn up to six credit hours at UT before the fall semester.
- Start building relationships with professors, administrators, staff, and peer mentors, creating a unique support system.
- Gain an edge over other incoming freshman with early access and exposure to campus life and resources.
- Build a small community among Summer Bridge peers, developing lifelong friendships.