SSD determines eligibility and approves reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities at the University of Texas at Austin. We also engage in outreach across campus in order to make campus a more inclusive, accessible and welcoming environment for people with disabilities.
SSD is part of the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement and our office is located on the fourth floor of the Student Services Building. Take some time to browse through our website to find information on how to register with SSD, guidelines for documentation, and information about our accommodations and services . General resources for the UT community may be found on UT’s Disability Resource page.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to making your experience at the university more accessible!
Due to the increased number of students with testing accommodations and the limited number of testing spaces available at SSD the FINAL DAY you can submit Testing Reservation Forms to SSD will be this Friday, February 27th, by 5:00PM. This is for ALL remaining exams including final exams!
In addition to SSD’s regular testing hours (M-F 8:30-4:30), SSD testing spaces will also be available for final exams on Saturday, May 16th , ONLY from 9:00AM – 3:00PM.
As a reminder, you should only reserve space to test at SSD if your instructor cannot accommodate you or if you have need of assistive technology in the SSD lab. Please make every effort to make arrangements directly with your instructor so our testing spaces can be reserved for those who do not have other options.
You can pick up the testing forms at SSD’s front office or print them off of SSD’s website at the following link: http://www.utexas.edu/diversity/ddce/ssd/downloads/SSDTestingFormFall2012.pdf.
Contact your Disabilities Coordinator immediately if you have any conflicts or concerns.
The ADA Student Forums are a place for students to share their concerns and suggestions about campus accessibility and provide feedback on their experiences as a student with a disability at UT. The campus ADA Coordinator, SSD staff and Student Government Disabilities Inclusion Agency Representations will be in attendance and food will be provided by the Student Government-Disabilities Inclusion Agency.
There will be two forums to provide opportunities for students to participate as their schedules allow:
- Monday March 2nd @ 5pm in the SSB Glenn Maloney Room G1.310)
: Thursday March 5th @ 5pm PHR 2.108 (Pharmacy building, which is about a block south of the SSB) . Due to winter weather/schedule changes this forum has been cancelled. We plan to reschedule this forum so please check back soon for an updated date/time. RESCHEDULED: Thursday March 26th @ 5pm in SSB 4.212
In addition to the Forums, students also have a chance to provide feedback via a short online survey: https://utexas.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0IjGDP2vQDXMlxz . Students who respond to the survey have a chance to win one of our $10 Starbucks gift cards! The survey results will be shared at the Forums as another way to show common concerns students have and to let student representatives know what future initiatives are most important to students with disabilities.
We look forward to hearing your feedback and suggestions for how to make your experience at UT more accessible!
As we get ready to start the Spring 2015 semester we have some important information to share with students, faculty and staff across campus!
SSD recently completed the configuration of a new database that will allow us to streamline many of our services and processes. Throughout the semester, we will be sending out emails about any changes that may impact your interactions with our office. We will also be posting this information on our website, so please be sure to check back regularly to make sure you are not missing any important information.
Although the database will make many of our processes faster and more efficient, please be patient with us if you encounter any issues or delays as we work out any kinks during its first semester of use. There have been some slight changes to the accommodation letter request process and to the accommodation letter itself, so please read the following information carefully:
• Students registered with SSD should request accommodation letters online as usual. For more information about your responsibilities when arranging your accommodations and for the online submission form, go to this link: http://ddce.utexas.edu/disability/using-accommodations/. In addition to providing the course name, professor’s first and last name, YOU MUST NOW ENTER THE UNIQUE NUMBER OF EACH COURSE. If you do not enter all information, your letters will not get printed and/or there will be a delay.
• There have been some changes made to the language and information in the letter. Please read one of your letters to become familiar with the wording and to be aware of any changes.
• Accommodation letters will have a slightly different appearance. The paper used for printing the letters has been changed, and the University seal will now be in all black rather than burnt orange. We will be sending an email to all professors so they are aware of these changes. Please have them call SSD if they have any concerns about the letter’s new appearance. In addition, the listed accommodations are now separated into two categories: classroom and testing accommodations.
• Although we have spent a great deal of time making sure that all of the data in the new database is accurate, please check your letters to make sure it includes all of your accommodations. If you think there is an error or omission on your accommodation letters, please contact your Disabilities Services Coordinator in SSD immediately so the issue can be addressed.
• We will start printing letters this week and fully intend to have them ready within 5 business days of the day they were requested. If you requested them before this week, your letters are already in the queue and will likely be printed this week. If your email is on file with SSD, you should receive an email when the letters are ready to be picked up, but if you do not receive that email within 5 business days, please call the front desk to check on the status of your letters.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this transition. As always, please contact your coordinator in SSD right away if you have any questions or concerns.