Apply here to be considered for next year’s Free Minds class!
Are you a future Free Minds student?
Every year, the people who are accepted into Free Minds come from a wide range of backgrounds, ages, races, ethnicities and cultural experiences. Free Minds classes are made up of students who have never been to college and those who have been to college, but did not complete a degree. In each year’s class are students already passionate about reading and writing and students who are being introduced to the humanities for the very first time; students with families and students living on their own; retirees and recent high school graduates. There is no cookie cutter “perfect” Free Minds student, but students who complete the program share at least one thing in common: enthusiasm for and commitment to education!
Free Minds students receive:
- a nine month (two semester) college class in humanities
- six college credits from ACC upon successful completion of the course
- free tuition, books, and hot meals on class nights
- instruction from leading UT and ACC professors
- practice writing and speaking in a supportive academic environment
- free quality childcare through Camp Fire USA’s youth development program
- individual case management with a licensed clinical social worker
- visits to museums, theater performances, and special classes with accomplished authors, artists, and scholars
- financial aid instruction, college fairs, and dedicated ACC advising
- invitations to monthly alumni master classes and ongoing writing workshops after graduation
Am I eligible for Free Minds?
Eligible students will:
- be at least 18 years old
- have demonstrated financial need
- have a high school diploma or GED
- be able to read challenging books in English
- not yet have a college degree
- not have been enrolled in a degree-seeking program within the past two years
- make a commitment to attend class regularly and complete all assignments
We are currently accepting applications for 2013-14!
You may apply for Free Minds using our online application or you may contact us to request that a paper application be sent to you through the mail. Our deadline for accepting applications is July 5, 2013. If you have additional questions about the process of applying for Free Minds, check out our Applicants’ FAQ page or call the Free Minds office.
We look forward to hearing from you!