Student Resources

Gender Inclusive Restrooms on Campus

There are currently more than 30 gender inclusive restrooms located across the UT campus, with more added every year.  A complete listing of the gender inclusive restrooms, plus their locations, is located on the GSC website and available through the app InclusiveU. Please see the URL listed below to access the listing and a link to the app.

Website: http://ddce.utexas. edu/genderandsexuality/all-gender-restrooms/

“Preferred Name” and EID Procedures:

  1. Preferred Name: Transgender identified students can establish, through the Gender and Sexuality Center: Serving Women and LGBTQA Communities, the use of their preferred name rather than their legal or given name. Please note that the preferred name will only appear on: class rosters, grade sheets, the online student directory, TED, Clips, Blackboard, and official UT identification cards. The official university transcript and diploma cannot be changed without a legal name change. Also, the student should be aware that they will incur a replacement fee for their new identification card. Lastly, student can not establish a preferred middle name, instead if a student wishes their legal middle name can be abbreviated to an initial.  To establish a preferred name at UT Austin, contact the Gender and Sexuality Center at to set-up an appointment with the center staff.
  2. Canvas: You can update your Display Name in the Profile and User Settings in Canvas at
  3. EID – According to this website https://www.utexas. edu/eid/help/change.html, UT currently permits an EID change only for very limited reasons; one example they give is that the EID may be changed if your name has changed. If you do change your EID, the new EID will be your initials followed by a randomly generated number. To request an EID change, students may go to the Registrar’s Office in Main (MAI) 1, between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday. The Registrar’s office will ask for your UT photo ID or government-issued photo identification (for example, a driver’s license or passport). The Registrar’s Office will ask for documentation for your change request.

Changing Gender Markers

The Registrar’s Office accepts requests for gender marker changes by letter, which you may email or drop off in person. They ask that you include the following information in your request: your statement that you want to change your gender marker on their record from x to x (currently the Registrar only offers F and M as gender markers), and your signature, EID, date of birth, full name, and phone number. You may scan and email this to studentacademicrecords@ or drop this letter off at the office of Student Academic Records in Main (MAI) 1.

On-Campus Housing

There is no designated gender-inclusive housing on the UT Campus. The Division of Housing and Food Service has supported transgender and genderqueer students and LGBQ+ students in finding a welcoming housing environment on a case-by-case basis. The GSC can support students in contacting DHFS.

People: Courtney Howard, Associate Director of University Apartments, DHFS
Phone: (512) 471-3136

Gender-Confirming Services Letters

CMHC is now able to write letters for students who are seeking gender-confirming services such as hormone therapy, surgeries, and name/gender-marker changes for non-UT documents (otherwise contact staff at the GSC for information about name and gender marker changes within the UT system). Students interested in receiving a letter need to meet with a CMHC counselor for at least one session to establish a record of care with us, and might require more sessions depending on what is needed for an evaluation. These letters are written following the WPATH Standards of Care and require an evaluation for Gender Dysphoria (which many doctors require for access to treatment). The sessions are focused on gathering the information needed to write the letter, and you will not have to prove anything about your identity to receive a letter. If you are already connected to a CMHC provider, you are welcome to ask that clinician about getting a letter. Joey Hannah also has specific time set aside in his schedule for students needing a letter and you are welcome to contact CMHC to request an appointment with him; please let the person you speak with know that you need a Hormone Therapy Letter (512-471-3515). You can also contact Joey Hannah with any questions regarding this process (

People: Joey Hannah, Ph.D., CMHC Psychologist and LGBTQA+ Diversity Coordinator
Website: http://cmhc.utexas. edu/
Email: djhannah@austin.utexas. edu
Facebook: https://www.
Twitter: @UT_CMHC
Phone: (512) 471-3515

Counseling and Mental Health Support

The Counseling and Mental Health Center (CMHC) provides counseling, psychiatric, consultation, and prevention services that facilitate students’ academic and life goals and enhance their personal growth and well-being. CMHC offers services with the intent of being affirming, welcoming, and inclusive of all gender and sexual identities, and we are always open to feedback about experiences so that we can improve (you can contact Joey directly, or also provide feedback anonymously).

CMHC has a variety of group services to specifically meet the needs of queer students and groups run by allies with a specific openness to intersectionality. Some of these groups require a semester-long commitment to attending, and others are open for students to attend as-needed. Below is a current list of groups currently offered, and please see our website for more information about scheduling and updated group list:

  • Queer Voices Discussion Group
  • T-Time: A Supportive Space for Trans Students
  • Queer/Gay/Bisexual Men’s Group
  • Lesbian, Bisexual, and Queer Women’s Support Group
  • Finding Our Voice: A Women of Color Discussion Group
  • Asian American Voices Discussion Group
  • International Student Discussion Group

People: Joey Hannah, Ph.D., CMHC Psychologist and LGBTQA+ Diversity Coordinator
Website: http://cmhc.utexas. edu/
Email: djhannah@austin.utexas. edu
Facebook: https://www.
Twitter: @UT_CMHC
Phone: (512) 471-3515 | CMHC Crisis Line : (512) 471-CALL (2255) (UT Austin students only)