Dr. Xiaofen Keating, associate professor in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, and Sona Shah, program coordinator for the Center for Asian American Studies, were honored with RAISE Excellence Awards on April 17.
The RAISE Excellence Awards are given annually by the Asian and Asian American Faculty and Staff Association (AAAFSA) and the Asian Desi Pacific Islander American Collective (APAC) to celebrate the achievements of Asian and Asian American students, faculty and staff members. The following student organizations were also recognized:
- Outstanding Cultural Organization: Hindu Students Association
- Outstanding Service Organization: Liberty in North Korea Texas
- Outstanding Professional Organization: Gamma Beta Fraternity, Inc.
- Outstanding Recreational Organization: Hum A Cappella
- Most Improved Organization: Taiwanese American Students Association
About 100 faculty, staff and students attended the RAISE Excellence Awards dinner which included opening remarks by Dr. Gregory J. Vincent, vice president for diversity and community engagement, and a keynote by Ramey Ko. Ko is a partner in the firm Jung Ko, PLLCE, and an associate municipal judge in Austin. He is also a lecturer in Asian American Studies and Democratic candidate for State Representative, Texas House District 50. Students Gary Hao, Nam Nguyen and Chopin Chen served as emcees, with Dr. David Pan and Alex Pong presenting the faculty and staff awards.
See photo album from the event on Flickr.