The University of Texas of Austin
Division of Diversity and Community Engagement
Johnson-Bates Respect and Inclusion Presidential Scholarship
2013-14 Application Form
The purpose of the Johnson-Bates Respect and Inclusion Presidential Scholarship Program is to provide a college scholarship to student(s) who are playing an active role to stop or prevent bullying (particularly as it is displayed towards people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer) as well as improve the climate on campus for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) community.
A minimum of one (1) $1,500 undergraduate scholarship will be available annually. Scholarships are awarded for one year only, but recipients may re-apply for a second year.
- Applicants must be full-time University of Texas at Austin undergraduate students enrolled in the Jackson School of Geosciences.
- Applicants must have completed at least one (1) year of college credits by the time the award is received.
- Applicants must be US citizens.
- Applicants must have demonstrated leadership surrounding issues affecting the LGBTQ community, but do not need to identify as part of the LGBT population in order to qualify.
- Applicants should have demonstrated or expressed interest in volunteerism, student service within the LGBTQ organizations, The University of Texas at Austin student government programming and initiatives, and leadership development training in LGBTQ diversity.
- Applicants must be majoring in the Jackson School of Geosciences. This would include, Environmental Science, General Geology, Geophysics, Hydrogeology, Environmental Science and Sustainability, Geological SciencesTeaching, Geosystems Engineering and Hydrogeology, Geological Sciences.
- An applicant must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25.
To be considered for a Johnson-Bates Respect and Inclusion Endowed Presidential Scholarship, applicants must complete an application packet and return it to the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement Gender and Sexuality Center (located in the UT Austin Student Activity Center, Room 2.112) by 5:00 p.m. Monday, May 7, 2013. The application packet must include:
- A completed application form.
- Two completed recommendation forms, with at least one from a faculty or school official at the college level.
- An official college transcript.
- A personal statement (less than or equal to 500 words) describing the applicant’s qualifications for the scholarship and personal commitment to stop or prevent bullying (particularly as it is displayed towards people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer) as well as improve the climate on campus for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) community.
All four of the above items must be submitted before the application will be considered.
Completed applications should be sent to:
The Johnson-Bates Respect and Inclusion Endowed Presidential Scholarship
The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement
Gender and Sexuality Center
1 University Station A4400
Austin, TX 78712
For more information or questions, contact:
Ms. Ixchel Rosal