The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement and the City of Austin collaborated for the fourth year in a row to host special events celebrating the Texas Relays. On Wednesday March 27, DDCE and the City sponsored an evening reception and ceremony honoring local college student athletes who excel on and off the field. Those student athletes honored included the following:
- Jimmy Gowan, Austin Community College
- Catalina Mancera, Austin Community College
- Jarmarion Jenkins, Concordia University
- Cedrick Perry, Concordia University
- Ronzelle Fort, Huston-Tillotson University
- Erica Cray, Huston-Tillotson University
- Hayden Baillio, The University of Texas at Austin
- Chalonda Goodman, The University of Texas at Austin
On Friday, March 29, the 2013 Relays Parade began at Huston Tillotson College at 6 p.m., ending at the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center for a reception and community jam session featuring local high school bands. The event honored B. L. Joyce, the first AISD African American band director.
Photos from the two events say it all!