As a response to House Bill 400, the ChemBridge Program was launched in the fall of 2003 to offer college preparatory experiences to high schools that are underrepresented in postsecondary institutions. ChemBridge is a collaborative partnership among participating Texas high schools, the College of Natural
Sciences and the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement at The University of Texas at Austin.
ChemBridge is a web-based, dual-credit course that allows underrepresented high school students to earn six hours of college chemistry credit upon satisfactory completion of the course, while concurrently earning two semesters of high school credit for an advanced science class that serves as an Advanced Measure under the Texas Education Agency Distinguished Achievement Program.
For more information: Download the ChemBridge Annual Report
Using chemistry to bridge the gap from high school to college, the ChemBridge Program prepares underrepresented high school students for success at postsecondary institutions via two semesters of dual-credit chemistry courses.
- Provide to participating high school students authentic University of Texas at Austin Chemistry courses by maintaining the academic standards of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and by maximizing the use of campus technologies and procedures.
- Provide to participating high school students meaningful experiences that promote a college-going culture.
- Provide to participating high school teachers opportunities to improve and maintain content knowledge and pedagogy via semiannual workshops and ongoing professional development.
- Increase higher education matriculation rates at high schools that are underrepresented in postsecondary institutions.
ChemBridge’s Four Elements
- a dual-credit (high school/university) chemistry course
- a week-long summer teacher development workshop
- a two-day winter teacher development workshop
- high school student visitation to The University of Texas at Austin
- Austin ISD
- East Austin College Prep
- Beaumont ISD
- Central Medical Magnet
- Copperas Cove ISD
- Copperas Cove
- Dallas ISD
- Manor ISD
- Mission Consolidated ISD
- Veterans Memorial
- San Antonio ISD
- Thomas Edison
- Thomas Jefferson