Are you interested in adding the SPURS Program at your campus? This page gives an overview of the requirements for schools to participate. We also outline recommended qualities for teachers and students. For enrollment inquiries, please contact:
Dr. Kenya Walker
Prospective SPURS Schools
Memorandum of Understanding
- The University of Texas at Austin and each participating school district sign aMemorandum of Understanding that outlines program agreements. The Memorandum of Understanding must be renewed each academic year prior to the summer professional development workshop.
- To participate in the SPURS Program, school districts or high school campuses pay standard operating costs that vary by location. All costs associated with the SPURS Program may be absorbed by school districts or high school campuses, resulting in little to no out-of-pocket expense to students.
- The ideal student candidate will be one with the following characteristics:
• Completion of Pre-AP English II or AP English III with a grade of A or B.
• Written recommendation from the Pre-AP or AP English teachers.
• Met passing requirements on state standardized tests in the English Language Arts areas of reading and writing.
- Teachers must complete a summer and winter workshop for which they will be awarded professional development credit.
- Teachers receive support from The University of Texas at Austin through staff site visits and ongoing communication.
- Local school districts provide access to computers that meet program specifications.
Profile of a Succesful High School SPURS Program
- Adhere to the agreements in the Memorandum of Understanding.
- Utilize the ongoing support provided by the UT-Austin SPURS staff.
- Differentiate instruction while maintaining high academic standards.
- Emphasize effective study habits and test-taking strategies.
- Provide tutoring to SPURS students.
- Seek parental involvement.
- Foster a college-going culture.